Below is a curated list of curated resources, webinars, and presentations that can help you identify federal funding to support your work. NLADA’s Comparison of Major Sources of Federal Funding. This guide provides an overview of key funding sources for legal aid and tracks the amount they have been funded since FY 2016.
- NLADA and the Justice in Government Project’s grant forecasting guide. Grant-making agencies, pending budgetary and discretionary spending approvals and federal agency program decisions, often offer previews of their planned funding opportunities. This guide walks you through how to find forecasted grants, open grants, and past grantees as well as questions you might consider asking previous grantees about their experience.
- The Justice in Government Project’s Grants Matrix. The matrix is intended as an introduction to the possibilities for partnering with state and local governments to address the need for civil legal help that advances government priorities involving low-income and other underserved populations. It provides an overview of those state-administered federal funds that can support legal aid and examples of how states have used these funds to advance their goals with legal aid.
- Management Innovation Excellence (MIE) for Legal Aid’s Fundraising Project. MIE provides an initial consultant to subscribed organizations at no cost. You provide them with some basic information about your budget, resource development experience and sample materials. They will talk with you, provide some analysis, and help identify your next steps.
- Sign up for Grants.gov news and the Grants.gov newsletter. You can receive a monthly newsletter with grant writing tips and updates on forecasted and open grants.
- Read why legal aid is a partner for philanthropy. Former president of the Public Welfare Foundation makes the case that investing in civil legal aid is smart, results-driven philanthropy.
Webinars and calls
NLADA is hosting four webinar series over the next year: Serving Veterans (September 2019), Addressing the Opioid Crisis (October/November 2019), Facilitating Successful Reentry (April 2020), and Serving Victims of Crime (date TBD).
Serving Veterans Webinar Series
Research & Federal Funding
Partnership & Service Delivery
Screening & Technology
Addressing the Opioid Crisis Webinar Series
Research & Federal Funding
Data Collection & Screening
Partnerships & Service Delivery
Also check out our fact sheet about opioids and the justice system and our article about civil legal aid and opioids
The following is a curated list of webinars. See more NLADA webinars here.
- NLADA and National Center for Medical Legal Partnership: Health Centers and Medical-Legal Partnerships
- NLADA and the Federal Trade Commission: Serving Victims of Identity Theft and Consumer Fraud: Assessing Need and Providing Critical Assistance
- NLADA and the Justice in Government Project: Combating the Opioid Epidemic: How Civil Legal Aid Helps Those Affected by the Opioid Crisis
- NLADA and the U.S. Department of Justice, Civil Rights Division: Combatting Sexual Harassment In Housing
- NLADA and the U.S. Department of Justice, Civil Rights Division: Combatting Human Trafficking Through Collaboration
- Council for State Governments Clean Slate Clearinghouse: Reducing Barriers to Employment-Building Partnerships with Civil Legal Aid
- Pro Bono Net: LawHelp Interactive Monthly Call: Title IV-D and Child Support (funding discussion starts at about 22 minutes)
Presentation on November 7, 2019 at NLADA Annual Conference – Advancing Your Work with Federal Funding: Serving crime victims, facilitating reentry, and serving veterans
Presentation on July 26, 2019 at the MIE Fundraising Conference – Advancing Your Work with Federal Funding: Addressing the opioid epidemic, facilitating reentry, and serving victims of crime
- Presentation on May 9, 2019 at the Equal Justice Conference – Responding to the Opioid Crisis and Helping Crime Victims: Civil Legal Aid and Federal Funding
- Presentation on May 9, 2018 at the Equal Justice Conference – Advancing Your Work through Federal Funding: Creating Opportunity through Criminal Record-Clearing
- Presentation in May 2018 at the Equal Justice Conference – Growing a Clinic Practice and the Technology to Help
- Presentation on March 11, 2018 at the Equal Justice Conference – Advancing Your Work through Federal Funding: Programs for Human Trafficking, Reentry, and Veterans
- Presentation on December 8, 2017 at the NLADA Annual Conference –Advancing Your Work through Federal Funding: Programs for Reentry, Veterans and Victims of Crime
- Presentation in July, 2017 at the MIE Fundraising Conference – Victims of Crime Act (VOCA) Victim Assistance Formula Grant Program
- Presentation on June 9, 2017 at the Community-Oriented Defender Network Conference – Funding Opportunities for Holistic Defense
- Presentation on April 25, 2017 at the 5th National Parent Attorney Conference – Advancing Your Work through Lesser Known Federal Funding Streams
- Presentation on November 10, 2016 at the NLADA Annual Conference – Understanding How Federal Block Grants Support Legal Aid
- Presentation on May 13, 2016 at the Equal Justice Conference – Understanding How Federal Block and Formula Grants to State and Local Governments Support Legal Aid
- Presentation on May 12, 2016 at the Equal Justice Conference – Accessing Federal Grant Funding
Love this list? Hate this list? Have any resources to add?
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.