Description: This notice announces the availability of funds and solicits applications from eligible entities to compete for financial assistance through the Outreach and Assistance for Socially Disadvantaged Farmers and Ranchers and Veteran Farmers and Ranchers Program (hereinafter the “2501 Program”). The overall goal of the 2501 Program is to assist socially disadvantaged and veteran farmers and ranchers in owning and operating farms and ranches while increasing their participation in agricultural programs and services provided by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). This program will assist eligible community-based organizations, higher education institutions, and tribal entities in providing outreach and technical assistance to socially disadvantaged and veteran farmers and ranchers.
Funding Title: Outreach and Assistance for Socially Disadvantaged Farmers and Ranchers and Veteran Farmers and Ranchers
Agency Name: Department of Agriculture, Office of Advocacy and Outreach
Funding Instrument Type: Grant
Express Language for Legal Aid: No
Target Population: Socially disadvantaged and veteran farmers and ranchers
Expected Number of Awards:
Cost Sharing or Matching Requirement: No
How to Apply: Applicants are required to submit proposals through www.grants.gov.
Current Closing Date for Applications: Aug 27, 2014
Estimated Total Program Funding: $9,100,000
Award Ceiling: $400,000
Public and State controlled institutions of higher education
Nonprofits having a 501(c)(3) status with the IRS, other than institutions of higher education
Native American tribal organizations (other than Federally recognized tribal governments)
Native American tribal governments (Federally recognized)
Private institutions of higher education
Proposed activities must address two or more of the following priority areas:
1. Assist socially disadvantaged or veteran farmers and ranchers in owning and operating successful farms and ranches;
2. Improve participation among socially disadvantaged or veteran farmers and ranchers in USDA programs;
3. Build relationships between current and prospective socially disadvantaged or veteran farmers and ranchers and USDA’s local, state, regional and National offices;
4. Provide outreach and education to socially disadvantaged or veteran farmers and ranchers on USDA class action lawsuits and claims processes; and/or
5. Introduce agriculture-related information to socially disadvantaged or veteran farmers and ranchers through innovative outreach and technical assistance techniques.
Policy and Regulations on Use of Funds:
All awards resulting from this FOA will be administered in accordance with the OAO assistance regulations codified at 7 CFR Part 2500. A listing and description of general federal regulations and cost principles applicable to the award of assistance agreements under this FOA can be found in 7 CFR Chapter XXV Part 2500.003.
Current/Past Funding Recipients:
Samples of Successful Application:
Link to Full Announcement: http://www.outreach.usda.gov/grants/FY14%20OASDVFR%20FOA.pdf
U.S. Department of Agriculture
Office of Advocacy and Outreach
Attn: Kenya Nicholas, Acting Program Director
Whitten Building Room 520-A
1400 Independence Avenue, SW.
Washington, D.C. 20250