APPLICATIONS DUE: June 1, 2015, 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time
Description: The Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) Program offers FREE tax help to individuals who are age 60 or older. Section 163 of the Revenue Act of 1978, Public Law No. 95-600, 92 Stat. 2810, November 6, 1978, authorizes this cooperative agreement. The Act authorizes the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to enter into agreements with private or public nonprofit agencies and organizations, which will provide training and technical assistance to vol- unteers who provide FREE tax counseling and assistance to elderly individuals in the preparation of their federal income tax returns.
This Act authorizes an appropriation of special funds, in the form of grants, to provide tax assistance to persons age 60 years of age or older. The IRS receives the funds as a line item in the budget appropriation. The total funds are distributed to the grant recipients for their expenses.
Funding Title: Tax Counseling for the Elderly Program
Agency Name: Department of Treasury, Internal Revenue Service
Funding Instrument Type: Grant
Express Language for Legal Aid: No. But legal aid programs have received funding under this program.
Target Population: Persons age 60 years of age or older
Cost Sharing or Matching Requirement: There are no cost sharing or matching requirements for the TCE Program
How to Apply: Applications are submitted through grants.gov. Before submitting a grant application, all organizations should take the following actions:
- Secure a Dun & Bradstreet Data Universal Numbering System (DUNS) number,
- Register with the System for Award Management (SAM), and/or
- Check both to ensure applicant information is correct and accounts are still active.
- Determine if application is subject to review by the state under Executive Order 12372.
- Register with Grants.gov in order to submit application electronically.
Current Closing Date for Applications: June 1, 2015, 11:59 p.m Eastern Time
To be eligible to apply and participate in the program you must:
- Be a private or public non-profit agency or organizationt hat has been granted tax exemption under Section 501 of the Internal Revenue Code (organizations that have applied for recognition as tax-exempt but have not received their IRS determination letter confirming the organization as exempt are not eligible for this grant) or be a federally recognized Indian tribal government;
- Have experience in coordinating volunteer programs with experience in income tax return preparation; and;
- Not be a federal, state, or local governmental agency or organization.
Policy and Regulations on Use of Funds: www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1101.pdf
Link to Full Announcement: www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1101.pdf
Contact Information: Grant Program Office, Phone: 404.338.7894 (not a toll-free number) Fax: 240.613.6117 (not a toll-free number) E-mail Address: TCE.Grant.Office@irs.gov – E-mail is the preferred method of communication
Categories: Elderly, Federal Tax, Internal Revenue Service, Native American Tribes or Tribal Organizations, Non-profit Organizations, Subgrant Possibilities
Leave a Reply