Applications due: by March 31, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. ET
This program provides resources to state, local, and federally recognized tribal governments to enhance drug court programs and systems for nonviolent offenders and veterans with addictions, including stimulant and opioid abuse and overdose.
- Presentation on July 26, 2019 at the MIE Fundraising Conference – Advancing Your Work with Federal Funding: Addressing the opioid epidemic, facilitating reentry, and serving victims of crime (see slides on “Facilitating Reentry”)
- Presentation on May 9, 2018 at the Equal Justice Conference – Advancing Your Work through Federal Funding: Creating Opportunity through Criminal Record-Clearing
- The Justice in Government Project research brief about how legal aid addresses barriers to employment for people with a criminal record
Funding Title: BJA FY 21 Adult Drug Court and Veterans Treatment Court Discretionary Grant Program
Agency Name: U.S. Department of Justice, Office of Justice Programs, Bureau of Justice Assistance
Funding Opportunity Number: O-BJA-2021-46003
Funding Instrument Type: Grant
Express Language for Legal Aid: No, there isn’t express language for legal aid. However, state agencies involved with substance abuse and mental illness services are eligible, and legal aid organizations could likely be added as subgrantees under this program.
Target Population: Veterans and criminal substance abusers
Expected Number of Awards: 91
Cost Sharing or Matching Requirement: This solicitation requires a 25 percent cash or in-kind match.
Estimated Total Program Funding: $56,750,000
Award Ceiling: $1,500,000
Award Floor: $0
Current Closing Date for Applications: by March 31, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. ET.
Eligible Applicants: City or township governments, County governments, Native American tribal governments (Federally recognized), State governments, Other
Applicants must apply under one of these four categories:
- Category 1: Implementation of Veterans Treatment Court
- Category 2: Veterans Treatment Court
- Category 3: Adult Drug Court
- Category 4: Statewide Strategies to Support Adult Drug Courts and Veterans Treatment Courts
For Category 4, the additional eligible groups are: State agencies such as the State Administering Agency, the Administrative Office of the Courts, and the State Substance Abuse Agency State criminal justice agencies and other state agencies involved with the provision of substance abuse and/or mental illness services, or related services, to criminal substance abusers