Due: April 27, 2020
This initiative is intended to support or expand on federal, state, local, and tribal efforts to enforce crime victims rights. Applicants may apply under the following purpose areas: victims rights legal clinics that will provide legal representation to victims and train allied professionals in an effort to enforce victims rights in the criminal justice process (Purpose Area 1), and one training and technical assistance provider to provide support to the selected legal clinics (Purpose Area 2). There is express language for legal aid.
- NLADA recently presented at the MIE Fundraising Conference on how civil legal aid serves victims of crime. Access the PowerPoint here.
- The Justice in Government Project at American University has curated research briefs on how civil legal aid assists domestic violence survivors, elder abuse survivors and children. You can access these briefs here.
- Want help making your case? The Justice Index scores and ranks states on their adoption of best practices for ensuring access to justice. Find how well your state is doing here.
Funding Title: OVC FY 2020 Crime Victims’ Rights Legal Clinics
Agency Name: Department of Justice, Office for Victims of Crime
Funding Opportunity Number: OVC-2020-17893
Funding Instrument Type: Cooperative agreement
Express Language for Legal Aid: Yes. The clinics will: the clinics will:
- Provide pro bono legal representation to victims of crime for the enforcement of crime victims’ rights;
- Represent crime victims at the appellate level to enforce crime victims’ rights;
- Develop a plan to educate and provide training on crime victims’ rights to legal and criminal justice professionals who work with victims (e.g., prosecutors, defense, attorneys, law students, the local bar, etc.);
- Provide a time-task plan and implementation plan.
Target Population: Victims of crime.
Expected Number of Awards: Nine. OVC anticipates making up to eight awards under purpose area 1 and one award under purpose 2 of up to $1 million each.
Cost Sharing or Matching Requirement: No
Eligible Applicants: Non organizations (including tribal nonprofit organizations), faith-based and community-based organizations, institutions of higher education (including tribal institutions of higher education), states or units of local government, and federally recognized Indian tribal governments or tribal organizations.
For more information
Contact Information: If you have difficulty accessing the full announcement electronically, please contact: TTY at 301–240–6310 (hearing impaired only); email to email@example.com; fax to 301–240–5830; or web chat here.
Categories: Department of Justice, Domestic Violence, Education Organizations, Express Language for Legal Aid, Government Organizations, Native American Tribes or Tribal Organizations, Non-profit Organizations, Victims of Crime